Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Appreciate the beauty of Mathematics...?

A few days ago, read the following in a novel and have been trying to figure it out since then

"The mathematics of love defy arithmetic

Maybe the author needed to come up with an intellectually deep crap with no meaning at all and succeeded at itJ. Or maybe, I am not just philosophical or intellectually sound enough to understand the gravity of a world class quote! Or maybe I have forgotten the beauty of mathematics!

Which reminds me (and I won’t try to be coy about it) that I once used to be good at mathematics. But in the past few days, I had to revise maths related topics which I had once partially studied and I couldn’t get around to doing it! Whenever, I would open the book to go through the topics, everything would seem proportional to intergalactic space in terms of size and complexity. I am still trying to get my rusted brain to recall all the calculus and statistics once learned. I wonder what Pascal, Pythagroas, Archimedes would do when they suffered from algebra-block and weren’t able to solve one equation? Or maybe, they never suffered from such symptoms, because then their names wouldn’t be metric or theorems!



So while I try to swim to prevent drowning in the mathematical sea of equations, every one try to figure out the strange quote!

1 comment:

Umme Faris said...

If I may take a shot at it:
When you talk about rationalizing your emotions to the tune of one plus one equals two - the end result will not be what you expect...unlike mathematics where addition is always 1+1=2. Hope that helps :)

(I was going through some old email and saw your blog address; just couldn't help myself :))